19 Jul Maintain a Healthy Scalp This Summer
The perfect summer usually means trips to the pool or maybe even the beach, it could also mean damage to your healthy scalp! We’ve put together 6 essential tips to help promote healthy hair and a healthy scalp.
- Wearing a scarf or sun hat when exposed to direct sunlight will protect your scalp from harmful UV rays and will also help your scalp retain moisture.
- Drink lots of fluids to keep your skin and scalp hydrated and healthy. Mayo Clinic recommends about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids for men and about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women.
- Using a scalp detox once every week is a good idea to keep scalp concerns at bay. Try our Scalp MED® Detox My Scalp™ Follicle Detoxifier for Women and Men.
- Avoid using hot water when washing your hair – try lukewarm water instead. This will help keep your skin from drying out!
- When you put your hair up high and tight it can cause damage during the summer months, when hair tends to get frizzy and dry. So rock your hair in a braid or soft updo over the trending topknot.
- Heading to the beach or pool? When you get back home make sure to rinse out hair and massage thickening shampoo into your scalp for 30 seconds or longer to help exfoliate and remove any build up.
Scalp Cooling Tips
Summer can mean hard times for your body. In addition to dehydration, your scalp takes a beating this season. While dandruff and greasy hair are constant troubling factors, your scalp almost always feels irritable and hot. What is worse is that your hair traps heat, giving your scalp very little space to breathe. Below are a few ways to keep your scalp cool during summer:
- Use a scalp cooling pack: soothes your scalp, warding off dandruff, foul smell, oil, and sweat. Using a pack made from aloe vera gel and peppermint oil will work wonders for these scalp problems.
- Use a cold compress: let the cold compress rest on the scalp for a few seconds. Repeat this 3-4 times daily. This will help cool your skin and soothe any scalp irritation.
- Wash your hair regularly: washing your hair twice or three times a week is vital during summer, to not only let your scalp cool down but also wash off all the bacteria and sweat that the scalp accumulates due to sweat. Wash your hair by using a thickening shampoo and conditioner.
A damaged scalp can leave hair inadequately nourished for months to come so be sure to take care of your scalp now! Scalp Med® offers a variety of products for men and women to promote scalp health! Our scalp detoxifier will really help you keep your scalp clean from all the sweat and dirt in any season. 15+ years of beautiful results show you that Scalp Med® is the brand to look into for anything relating to scalp and hair health!