How Thickening Treatments Work
If you suffer from hair loss or hair thinning, finding a safe, simple way to increase the thickness of your hair can be a challenge. The number of available hair thickening treatment options can be staggering, making it difficult to figure out which are the best hair thickening products. If you want to grow thicker hair, hair thickening spray may be a useful treatment method to increase the volume of your hair and make it appear fuller and thicker. Before deciding if this is the right option for you, it is important to understand how the hair growth process works normally, common ways in which the hair growth process is interrupted resulting in hair loss or hair thinning, how thickening treatments work to combat hair loss or hair thinning, and how to find the optimal thickening treatment for you. To help you make an informed decision about whether or not a hair thickening treatment is the right option for you, we have put together an introductory guide to help you understand how thickening treatments work.
The Hair Growth Process
Before delving into the science of how hair growth treatments work, it is important to first understand how the hair growth process occurs in an average person. The hair growth process is comprised of three main stages of growth and shedding called anagen, catagen, and telogen.
- Anagen: The anagen phase of the hair growth cycle is the active phase during which the cells of the root at the base of the hair follicle are undergoing rapid cellular division which stimulates a new hair to be pushed to the surface of the scalp.
- Catagen: The catagen phase of the hair growth cycle is the transitional phase during which the hair has stopped actively growing and its outer root sheath will shrink and attach to the root of the hair forming a club hair.
- Telogen: The telogen phase of the hair growth cycle is the resting phase during which the hair follicle is no longer growing and the formation of the club hair is complete, leaving the hair follicle at rest.
Common Types and Causes of Hair Loss or Hair Thinning
The above phases are indicative of a normal hair growth cycle, but many individuals experience hair loss or hair thinning as a result of a disruption to these phases of the hair growth cycle. Finding the right treatment option for your hair loss or hair thinning begins with identifying the type of hair loss and the underlying cause of the hair loss. Below are a handful of the most common types and causes of hair loss or hair thinning in men and women.
Types of Hair Loss
- Male or Female Pattern Baldness: One of the most common types of progressive hair loss is male and female pattern baldness, also referred to as androgenetic alopecia. This type of hair loss occurs when the hair follicles become miniaturized and decrease in height, growth, and strength, resulting in some hair follicles ceasing to grow.
- Telogen Effluvium: Telogen effluvium is a type of hair loss that is common for many individuals to experience during their lifetime since it is often believed to occur as a result of a stressful experience. When telogen effluvium begins, the number of hair follicles growing hair will drop significantly during telogen phase, causing an increase in shedding.
- Alopecia Areata: This type of hair loss occurs when the immune system becomes overactive and begins to mistakenly attack hair follicles. The underlying cause for its onset is still not understood, but it is often not permanent.
Causes of Hair Loss
- Hormonal Imbalance: The hormones that the body produces are integral to a number of different processes within the body, including hair growth. Hormonal imbalances affect women more often than men, as hormonal imbalances can occur as a result of birth control pills, pregnancy, or menopause. Androgens, male hormones, may also play a role in hair loss.
- Stress: Stress is one of the most common causes of hair loss in both men and women. Extreme stress can result in an increased telogen phase of the hair growth cycle, which causes a much higher rate of shedding. Effectively managing stress can often help to diminish stress-related hair loss or hair thinning.
- Anemia: Anemia, or iron deficiency, occurs as a result of a lack of iron and is often easily treated with the addition of a daily iron supplement to balance iron levels.
- Dramatic Weight Loss: When the body experiences a significant change, it can sometimes disrupt the normal bodily process. If an individually rapidly loses a significant amount of weight, sometimes they will experience hair loss or hair thinning while their body attempts to adjust and regulate the hair growth cycles.
- Heredity: There is evidence that some individuals are more likely to experience hair loss as a result of their heredity. Heredity plays a role in the age at which you begin to lose hair, how quickly you will lose hair and the extent of the hair loss. Often this is the most common cause of male and female pattern baldness.
With this understanding of common types and causes of hair loss, it is now possible to examine how hair thickening products attempt to combat hair loss and hair thinning.
How Hair Thickening Treatments Work
If you are experiencing hair loss or hair thinning, a hair thickening treatment may be a beneficial addition to your daily hair routine. Before utilizing a hair thickening treatment, it is important to understand how they work. One important distinction is that there is a difference between a hair thickening treatment and a hair regrowth product or hair replacement treatment as a hair thickening treatment will not halt or reverse hair loss or hair thinning. Instead, hair thickening treatments can help to improve the appearance of thinning hair and increase the volume of hair. As a general rule of thumb, selecting a hair thickening treatment from a specialty company rather than a generic brand makes a difference in effectiveness as companies that specialize in treating hair loss or hair thinning will target specific aspects of the hair follicle to maximize the thickness of the hair.
Hair thickening products are designed to help increase the thickness of the hair shaft by swelling it, which thereby increases the overall volume of the hair. On average, your head has roughly ten thousand hairs on the surface of the scalp. If all of these hairs are thickened by an effective hair thickening product, they can produce noticeable results. It is important to keep in mind that hair thickening treatments are often only a temporary solution that is reliant on continued use to maintain results. Hair thickening products, while effective, will not regrow lost hair, but they can offer a natural, subtle improvement in the volume and thickness of your hair.
The sheer number of different hair thickening products available on the market can make finding the right one for your hair a daunting task. When selecting products, be sure to target companies that focus solely on helping individuals to combat hair loss or hair thinning as they will have a more in-depth understanding of how the hair growth process works, how various types of hair loss affect it, and how to effectively combat the effects of hair loss and hair thinning. In addition, it is useful to find a hair thickening treatment that is multi-step so that it is working on multiple fronts to help improve the appearance of volume and thickness of the hair. Another factor to keep in mind is that many companies develop their product lines to work in coordination with one another. This means that if you are utilizing a hair regrowth product from one company, using the hair thickening product from them will likely be the best choice since they will have made sure that none of the ingredients will interact or diminish effectiveness in any way. Finally, it is important to look for thickening products that rely on the science of how hair grows and is affected to produce measurable, noticeable results. Products that are scientifically based are often more likely to be effective than those that are not.
How Scalp Med Can Help You
If you are looking for a daily hair thickening treatment to implement into your routine, then the Scalp Med Thicken three-piece kit may be the right solution for you. This three-piece daily scalp and hair maintenance and volumizing kit is designed to help increase the thickness and fullness of fine and thinning hair. In addition, this three-piece daily thinning hair treatment maintenance and volumizing kit is designed to complement the Scalp Med hair-regrowth system. The Scalp Med Thicken three-piece kit is suitable for both men and women with fine or thinning hair.
The Scalp Med three-piece Thicken kit includes Scalp Med’s Phyto-Pūr® Shampoo for hair loss, Cortex Enlarger Thickening Spray, and Panthenol-DX Follicle Detoxifier. These three products work in tandem to cleanse, detox and improve the health of the scalp, enhance hair density, and add volume and thickness to hair follicles quickly. Below is an overview of the science behind each of these three products, their ingredients, and their respective benefits.
- Phyto-Pūr® Shampoo: Many shampoos contain harsh chemicals and ingredients that can damage hair and contribute to hair loss of hair thinning. Scalp Med’s Phyto-Pūr® Shampoo is free of harmful ingredients and irritants and was designed specifically for thinning hair. Phyto-Pūr® Shampoo penetrates and strengthens the hair shaft as it gently cleanses the hair, which restores and adds volume to the hair. Phyto-Pūr® Shampoo is fortified with green tea, nettle, hops, chamomile extracts, palmetto plant, essential amino acids, and plant sterols to help increase the volume of thinning hair. In addition, Phyto-Pūr® Shampoo is sulfate and paraben-free, which improve the health of the hair and scalp.
- Cortex Enlarger Thickening Spray: Unlike spray fibers that are designed simply to cover up thinning hair or bald spots, the Cortex Enlarger Thickening Spray safely causes the hair shaft and fibers to thicken, which causes the hair to look fuller and helps reduce the appearance of bald spots. The Cortex Enlarger Thickening Spray contains Provitamin B5 and Panthenol, which help to promote thicker hair shafts. Panthenol is a beneficial detangling, moisturizing, and thickening agent that is capable of penetrating into the hair shaft to increase the thickness and volume of the hair. Panthenol aids in moisture-retention in the hair strand because it is capable of limiting the amount of water lost due to evaporation as a result of its chemical structure and ability to bond to water. Scalp Med’s Cortex Enlarger Thickening Spray is completely invisible and undetectable, allowing you to instantly add volume to your hair without any mess.
- Panthenol-Dx Follicle Detoxifier: In some cases, hair thinning may be caused by a toxic scalp, which can occur due to a buildup of cholesterol and oils built up on the interior walls of the hair shaft and hair follicles. This build-up of toxins causes your scalp to become inhabited by bacteria that can clog hair follicles and prevent the hair from growing and being its normal thickness. Many people do not realize that shampoos cannot remove hair and scalp buildup; instead, a scalp treatment for hair loss is required to get rid of the toxins, unclog pores, and deep clean the hair follicles. Scalp Med’s Panthenol-Dx Follicle Detoxifier removes the build-up of oily residue and helps to keep hair follicles clear for healthy growth. Panthenol-Dx Follicle Detoxifier utilizes pantothenic acid to remove years of buildup in seconds and Provitamin B5 to help moisturize hair follicles and increase hair thickness and volume. Panthenol is a derivative of pantothenic acid and is a key component due to its unique humectant properties. Panthenol is an extremely effective humectant that promotes moisture-retention. In addition, Panthenol is also a powerful emollient and moisturizer that coats each hair strand evenly and develops a smooth film on the cuticle of the hair follicle. This coating makes the hair appear glossier, shinier, and healthier because it reflects light off of the surface of the hair. Panthenol penetrates into the cuticle of the hair follicle, allowing it to increase the volume and thickness of the hair. Panthenol-Dx Follicle Detoxifier is also sulfate and paraben-free.